Woven Community Development Association would like to create a MakerSpace for the residents of Rochester and surrounding communities. The definition of a maker space while not easily defined is essentially Do-It-Yourself spaces where people can gather to create, invent, and learn. They are physical spaces for open collaboration where people have access to resources, knowledge, professional connections and tools that they share in order to develop projects with the aim of creating products or services.
Our mission is to provide a collaborative space where individuals can learn and create using shared tools and technology, enabled by their own skills, inspiration, and resources. We will accomplish this by creating a public space that enables anyone and everyone to participate in the “Maker Movement” a revolution bringing fine motor skills and creative, critical thinking back to our communities. By providing the tools and open space to share with the community of makers in the City of Rochester the Woven Makerspace can be used for learning new tools and programs, provide tooling for an individual’s project that cannot be done at home, provide a place for people who share the same passion to meet and work on community projects, and even where schools and teams can meet to practice and learn technology.
• Shared tools and equipment such as those used in electronics,, woodworking, jewelry and
metalsmithing, welding, precision machining, fiber arts, and more.
• A range of affordable, publicly-accessible classes offered by local artisans and craftsmen focusing on either
creating a final product the student can take home after the class or general training for specific tools.
• Affordable monthly memberships that include access to our facility.
• Space and equipment rentals to monthly members interested in having access to equipment without having to invest in capital equipment and long-term space leases.
• On-site material and project storage allowing members to create and store projects without the hassle of
handling material and storage logistics.
• Host and promote related events with the goal of encouraging maker communities, shared spaces & culture.